According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), around 51,000 housefire incidents occur because of some sort of electrical failure. With such data, it shows that electrical faults have continuously been a major fire culprit that has affected so many people.
On a brighter note, averting electrical fires in your home is actually viable. All it takes is a Denver electrician that has knowledge, awareness, and a pair of sharp eyes against fire hazards and early signs of a potential fire.
Below are what studies show to be the five most common warning signs of being at risk of a house fire:
- If your circuit breaker persistently trips
- If there is a mysterious burnt smell
- If your switches and outlets seem charred or discolored
- If the wiring system is old or outdated.
- If you hear voltage near the outlets or see sparks
Consistently Tripping Circuit Breaker. Your circuit breaker is ultimately responsible for cutting out the flow of electricity to your house in order to avoid circuit overheating which causes an electrical fire.
If you noticed your circuit breaker frequently tripping, it is most likely because of the following
- The circuit breaker is busted;
- Short circuit is taking place somewhere in your circuit wiring or appliances which necessitate an electrician nearby to make repairs if you are residing in or around Denver, Colorado; or,
- Your appliances have been demanding too much electricity on a single circuit, thereby causing an electrical overload.
Any of these indicators must be taken seriously. While it is tempting to make electrical repairs on your own, always bear in mind that doing so is extremely risky and thus highly discouraged. If your circuit breaker trips again after you reset it, do not make another attempt. Otherwise, the breaker will give out and might stop tripping, making it appear like the problem is fixed but in truth, an electrical overload is already happening, overheating the wiring insulation inside. Historically, this mishandling and the hesitance of Googling “electricians in my area” have been a common culprit of an electrical fire.
Burnt Smell. A burnt smell must never be neglected especially if it does not come from the kitchen, more so if the source seems mysterious. In such cases, chances are a short circuit possibly caused by faulty wiring or a loose connection.
Data gathered by U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission or CPSC shows that short circuits account for most home electrical wiring-related fires in the country in recent years.
Switch or Outlet Discoloration. Before a huge fire happens, it starts with little sparking or arcing that results in a small fire. This is already enough to char or cause discoloration to the outlet.
If you spot one, you should immediately know.
Old Wiring. Old homes that have left their wirings unchecked or updated are also highly susceptible to electrical fire. According to CPSC, this is scientifically because modern, particularly energy-hungry home appliances are demanding more electrical load which the outdated wiring might not be able to handle. If left unnoticed, this can trigger an electrical overload which can lead to an electrical fire.
If you have just moved into a new “but old” residence, then having a residential electrician carry out a rewiring is a clever move.
Hearing an electrical humming sound or seeing sparks. Along with the old wiring culprit, if you happen to hear an electrical voltage sound or humming you’ll need to address the situation. Whether you hear a mysterious sound from an outlet or see little sparks from an exposed wire, you’ll need to immediately turn the power off to that area. Once done, contact your local electrician for professional repairs.