Chandelier installations are needed, there are several beautiful homes in Colorado with glazing chandeliers. A chandelier can turn your home into a palace with just a single click on the switch. The warm yellow lights of a chandelier are grace to your home and a treat to your eyes. However, installing one to the ceiling is not as easy as you think, and nobody knows it better than we do. If you are also planning to hang a chandelier in your home, we can help you do that without the help of electrical installation services.
How to install a chandelier?
The phrase’ beauty comes with a price is accurate when installing a chandelier. There is no easy way of hanging a chandelier; it takes a lot of time, effort, tools, and workforce to hang it safely.
Following are the things you need to get the chandelier up on the ceiling:
- Pair of pliers
- Voltmeter/ wire tester
- Measuring tape
- Sharp tools to strip the wire
Step-by-step installation of a chandelier
If you have all these things at your place, it’s time to get that beautiful chandelier up your ceiling. Here is how you can do it:
- Turn off the power: An electrical installation service tech is cautious and takes preventive measures while handling electrical works. However, safety should be your priority if you are doing it yourself.
So, make sure you turn off the power supply to your building before starting your work. Otherwise, you might get an electrical shock from any wires.
- Positioning: Where to place the chandelier is the next question. If you are hanging the chandelier in your dining room, position it according to the dining table. Because often, people hang it in the center of the room and might not place the table in the center.
So, first, fix the place for your dining table, and then mark the coordinates with the help of a measuring tape. However, keep in mind that you will get the maximum light when the chandelier is in the center of the room.
- Ceiling Box: The small electric box on the ceiling holds any electrical fixtures such as fans or lights. The standard capacity of a ceiling box ranges from 50 pounds to 75 pounds, so check your chandelier’s weight before getting one.
The first step for attaching the ceiling box is removing the existing one, checking the condition of the wiring, and changing it if it is not good. Then attach the mounting bracket carefully; otherwise, your heavy chandelier might fall.
However, don’t do that yourself; call the electrical installation service.
- Assembling: It is always better to buy an assembled chandelier; however, assembled chandeliers are not easy to transport. So most companies send it in separate parts with a guide to assemble it. Attach the pieces according to the manual and wipe down fingerprints before installing them.
- Chandelier chain: Your chandelier must not be too low from the ceiling or too high from the table. Measure the room’s height properly and find the right length for your chandelier.
- Mounting the chandelier: Find the chandelier’s hook and hang it on the ceiling according to the instructions in the manual.
- Connection: It’s one of the most challenging and dangerous parts of mounting a chandelier on the ceiling. Be cautious while connecting the wires, and don’t forget to re-check if the main power switch is off.
There will be two wires on the chandelier; one will be black, which carries the current, and the white one, which is neutral. There will be the same color-coded wires on the ceiling boxes as well.
First, check if the ends of the wires are in a condition to be joined together. If it is frayed, cut the edges to make them connectable. Then strip off the insulated top cover of the wire to get the metallic wires.
The next step is joining the wires; join the stripped portion of the black wire in the ceiling box with the black wire of the chandelier. Then make the connection by twisting it together with a wire nut. Now do the same with the white wires.
Then place all the wires inside the ceiling box, close it securely with the bracket, and tight it.
- Install bulbs: Congratulations! You have reached the last step of installing your beautiful chandelier. Select the most beautiful bulbs for your chandelier, and then place them on the holders in your setting. Run a trial by turning on your power switch and checking if all the bulbs are functioning perfectly.
Get professional help!
Does it sound like a lot of work? Don’t worry; you can always seek the help of a Denver residential electrician. Even if you are an expert in doing electrical repairs to your home, we strongly suggest hiring an electrician.
If you live in Denver or anywhere in the metro area, don’t waste time googling electrician companies near me. ElectriCall is the most trusted electrical installation service company in the area.
Contact them now to install your chandelier on the ceiling safely!