Did you know that having outdated appliances can affect your electric bill? Not only that, but having outdated circuit breakers, wiring, and electrical panels can affect the safety and value of your home. Using outdated appliances can put you at risk, especially if you’re using an older electrical infrastructure. Oftentimes, simple repairs may not help you anymore.
Now that the new year is approaching, you may want to take advantage of all of the holiday sales specials for new appliances (if an appliance is outdated).
We all know that electrical issues are the most common reasons why there are house fires. If any of your appliances are outdated, especially the ones that draw a lot of power (microwaves, dryers, refrigerators, dishwashers, toasters, etc.), then you’re putting your home at risk.
Why shouldn’t you use outdated appliances
Below are the common reasons why it isn’t safe to keep using outdated electrical appliances:
- For air conditioning units: Dirty filters can greatly affect indoor air quality. Also, excess moisture can attract molds and water damage.
- For microwaves: Outdated microwaves can cause poorly-heated food. Using them may also cause the wires and their parts to burn, which leads to sparks, foul odors, or worse.
- For refrigerators: Lack of cooling can cause the food to spoil easily, while it consumes more energy and increase your utility bills.
- For ovens and stoves: Your cooking can suffer if you use outdated ovens and stoves. Using it can also trigger gas odors, fires, and explosions.
- For washing machines/dryers: Leaks can cause water damage; Older dryers will require additional time in order to dry your clothes. The additional drying cycles will use up a lot more energy and increase your electric bill.
What are the signs your electrical system is outdated?
Below are the signs that your electrical system is already out-of-date:
- Smoke. Whenever there’s smoke from an outlet or appliance, and you smell burnt plastic or vinyl, you must contact a licensed electrician right away.
- Electrical noise. When you hear crackling, buzzing, or sizzling sounds from your switches and outlets, this means there is a serious problem, and you need to have a free electrical assessment.
- Tripped circuit breakers. If you always reset your breakers, then your home is overloaded. This means there are too many appliances plugged in.
- Damaged wiring. Outdated appliances can cause the wires to overheat. You will need to replace any old or damaged wiring immediately.
- Dimming lights. If you notice your lights dimming when using a vacuum cleaner or other appliances, then this means that the circuit is overloaded. The wiring and other parts may be outdated.
So, if you haven’t updated your electrical system in a long time, then you’re jeopardizing your safety. Continuing to use outdated appliances can even be more dangerous when you use extension cords and power strips to plug them in. It will be better if you add more outlets and modernize your appliances. It’s also efficient and keeps you and your home safe.
If you’re not sure whether any of your appliances are already out-of-date or not, then it’s best to contact ElectriCall if you’re near Denver or if you’re reading this from another area, then contact a local licensed electrician nearby. At ElectriCall, deliver a friendly, reliable, fast, and affordable services to help you with your needs as a homeowner. When you call us, your safety is guaranteed.