Electrical surges due to lightning can happen. That is why you need to install a lightning arrester. Get your home ready for a possible lightning strike. And protect your family from potential injuries and expensive appliances from getting damaged.
Contact a local residential electrician to help install a lightning arrester!
A lightning arrester is crucial for protecting your home from possible lightning strikes. Its purpose is to protect residential properties from high-voltage lightning carriers. It will help you avoid possible dangerous, sometimes fatal, outcomes.
In Colorado, lightning is taken seriously. Thunderstorms and lightning strikes may happen anytime and cause injuries and property damage. It is best to hire a local electrician to perform lightning arrester installation for your Arvada home.
Facts about Lightning Arrester Installation You Should Know
A lightning arrester is a type of protective device. Its purpose is to protect electrical equipment from voltage surges due to lightning. Consequently, giving you peace of mind.
- They are installed at the highest elevation. You will find them at the top of buildings, home roofs, and transmission poles.
- There are various types of lightning arresters. They can be rod-gap, sphere, horn-shaped, valve-type, multi-gap, or pellet-type.
- Tall buildings, high-rise apartment complexes, and homes within thunderstorm areas need lightning arresters. That is to protect their persons and property against potential hazards.
- Lightning arresters are often installed near electrical panels and generators. The reason behind this is to divert lightning strikes to the ground.
- They are best installed, repaired, and maintained by a professional Arvada electrician. Ask a contractor who has the skills and knowledge to complete the electrical work.
- The cost to install a lightning arrester in Arvada, CO ranges from $100 to over $3000. The price for installing lightning protection systems varies. Pricing depends on the type of lightning arrester, design, and installation.
- The purpose of a lightning arrester is often misunderstood. Some believe it attracts lightning. But, they do not. A lightning arrester protects inhabitants and sensitive electronic systems from an electrical surge.
- You can buy a lightning arrester at your local hardware store. Trusted online stores have them or you can purchase directly from manufacturers.
- Always consider hiring a professional Arvada electrician when doing electrical work or installation.
A lightning arrester is a powerful device. It will be beneficial to add to your electrical safety arsenal. Protecting your electrical appliances is pivotal in ensuring a safe and comfortable home. That is especially true during severe thunderstorms.
Does Your Arvada Home Need a Lightning Arrester?
Arvada is family-friendly and primarily an active agricultural community. Overall, Arvada, CO is an awesome place to live. It is near an international airport and has many exciting attractions and parks.
However, just like in any city, Arvada, CO also experiences severe weather. And there have been several cases of lightning strikes that injured residents.
Lightning is one of the common natural reasons for injuries and fatalities. So in an area where lightning strikes often happen, installing a lightning arrester makes sense.
Electrical surges due to lightning strikes can travel down utility transmission lines. That includes smart TV, telephones, and kitchen appliances. The sudden surge of electricity can damage your home and unprotected electronics.
Although it is not a code requirement, installing a lightning arrester has many benefits. Keeping your home and family protected won’t hurt. If you have questions regarding lightning arresters? Or need electrical repairs and home rewiring jobs? Consult with a local electrician near you.
ElectriCall is an Arvada electrical company ready to answer your inquiries. We are just a phone call away! Get answers on lightning protection, electrical installation, and more from us!
Lightning Arrester Installation and Electrical Safety Tips
- Obtain the necessary work permits for safety precautions. All electrical work has to comply with federal and local electrical requirements.
- All materials for the installation must comply with the electrical standards and specifications. That includes the cables, terminals, rods, and other components.
- Install the lightning protection as depicted on its diagram and electrical installation drawings.
- Make sure to bond metal objects onto the surge arrester.
- Secure the air terminals to prevent displacement.
- Industry codes and requirements must be followed at all times. Check federal and local requirements. Review the Lightning Protection Code, National Electrical Code, and Assessment of Risk and Damage.
- Install the protection system at least 5 – 6 meters in height.
- Use the right kind and required wiring, especially for grounding.
- Connect electrical components properly. Make sure wires are spliced correctly.
- Proper tools and equipment should be used as well. You may need hydraulic, electric power, and a ground tester among others.
Installing lightning arresters on your own is discouraged. With zero experience with electrical installation, it is best to call a professional. Complex electrical work is not a do-it-yourself project.
End Your Search for a Professional Electrician in Arvada, CO
Need help installing a lightning arrester in your Arvada home? ElectriCall is a professional Arvada electrical company. We offer safe and affordable electrical services.